Candy buyback programs have been becoming more and more popular in recent years, offering parents a way to keep the kids’ cavities to a minimum. Since 2004, Operation Gratitude has been partnering with dentists all over the country, “buying back” candy from trick-or-treaters and sending those fun size chocolate bars and other Halloween treats to military personnel serving overseas.
Help troop morale by participating this year; you can buy the candy back from your kids. Some families go with $0.10 per piece, or if you have a scale at home, you could pay per pound. Candy buyback programs, especially Operation Gratitude, are a great way to teach your kids a valuable lesson about caring for others (and their teeth).
In addition to Halloween candy, Operation Gratitude welcomes donations of toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, scarves, hats, protein bars, small plush animals, CDs and DVDs to put in care packages.
To participate in the 2012 Candy Buyback Program, visit one of the participating dentists listed below.
- Bethesda Dental Specialties, 4405 East-West Highway, Suite 102, Bethesda, MD 20814
- Germantown Dental Service, 19513 Doctors Drive, Germantown, MD 20874
- Kool Smiles, 1147 University Boulevard East, Takoma Park, MD 20912
- Fenton Family Dental, 8630 Fenton Street, Suite 708, Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Dodek Dental Group, 9881 Broken Land Parkway, Suite 102, Columbia, MD 21046
- Children’s Dental Office, 2225 Defense Highway, Crofton, MD 21114
- Woodview Orthodontics, 1401 Mercantile Lane, #102, Largo, MD 20774
If you don’t see a dentist in your area, visit the Operation Gratitude website and enter your ZIP code to locate one.