Plain clothed officers from Gaithersburg and Montgomery County police departments arrested 13 people during a two day "Holiday Safety" intitative at Lakeforest Mall, police said Monday afternoon.
The initiative, conducted on Nov. 23 and 24 in partnership with mall security, resulted in four people being charged with misdemeaner thefts, three charged with possession of a controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia, one charged with possession of alcohol, two had outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court, and three were charged with possession with intent to distribute a controlled dangerous substance.
“We appreciate the efforts and support of the Gaithersburg police and the Montgomery County police departments during the busy holiday shopping season,” said Paul DeMarco, general manager of Lakeforest Mall. “The safety of our community is a shared priority."
Gaithersburg police remind citizens who are out shopping to please keep in mind the following:
- Do not become distracted by your shopping. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Park in well-lit parking lots and park as close to the mall or store as possible.
- Lock your car doors and keep packages hidden in the trunk or under the seats of your vehicle.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you, and pay with checks or credit cards when possible.
- Ensure that you are not encumbered with a large number of packages. Try to make trips back to your vehicle to store packages in the trunk as you continue to shop.
- Carry your closed purse as close to your body as possible.
- Carry a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.