Monday, May 13, 2013
Montgomery County Council meets most Tuesdays in Rockville.
Montgomery County Council members will begin to discuss how to spend revenue collected from an ambulance fund that took effect this January at its next meeting, planned for Tuesday, May 14, at 9:30 a.m. in Rockville. The fund is the result of a law passed in 2012 that allows the county to collect fees from the insurance companies of patients transported by emergency medical services (EMS). It was defeated in a 2010 voter referendum, Patch previously reported, but reintroduced and passed by the County Council. County Executive Isiah Leggett submitted a proposal to allocate 15 percent of the revenue to the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire Rescue Association, the group that runs local volunteer fire and rescue stations. If approved, about $2.…
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The fire started in or near the home's electrical panel, an MCFR spokesperson said.
A Monday evening fire in a Gaithersburg home caused a combined $50,000 in damage, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch. MCFR was dispatched to a home in the 8200 block of Langport Terrace just before 6 p.m., MCFR spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the home's basement, in or near its electrical panel, Nesselt said. The fire caused $40,000 worth of structural damage and an additional $10,000 in damage to property.
Thursday, April 18, 2013
North Potomac: 'All of my neighbors were outside last night watching the flames which were huge.'
A fire in a vacant North Potomac home Wednesday night took more than 55 firefighters to put out, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told Patch. Firefighters were dispatched to the 14900 block of Talking Rock Court around 8 p.m., MCFRS spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. First reponders reported a large fire in a vacant single-family home that is under construction. Firefighters took a defensive approach, controlling and extinguishing the fire quickly, Nesselt said. "All of my neighbors were outside last night watching the flames, which were huge," Robyn Rutland of North Potomac told Patch in an email. Rutland is a resident of the Mills Farm neighborhood, which is off Quince Orchard Road. "We were amazed at how high …
No one was injured in either fire, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson said.
Firefighters doused two fires in Gaithersburg apartment complexes Wednesday, according to a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson. Around 3:30 p.m., MCFR officials were dispatched to the 9900 block of Shelburne Terrace for the report of a building fire, MCFR spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. Four hours later, they were sent to the 400 block of Christopher Avenue for a similar report. Firefighters arriving at the Shelburne Terrace location reported a fire in the "breezeway/first floor" entranceway to the apartment complex, Nesselt said. Residents of the building were sheltered in place and the fire was put out at 3:40 p.m. without any injuries. MCFR officials dispatched to the Christopher Avenue location found a fire in a third …
Friday, March 29, 2013
No one was injured in the fire, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch.
A Thursday afternoon fire in a Gaithersburg home was caused by an electrical malfunction, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt told Patch. No occupants of the home—in the 200 block of Cedar Avenue—were injured in the fire, which extended into the attic area of the house, she said. Damage estimates were unavailable as of Friday afternoon, she said.
Monday, March 11, 2013
Six people — including a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief — were injured in a collision Sunday evening, Montgomery Community Media reported.
Six people, including a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief, were injured in a collision Sunday evening at the intersection of Rt. 355 and Montgomery Village Avenue, Montgomery Community Media reported. The accident occured at 7:51 p.m., MCFR Asst. Chief Scott Graham said, according to the report. Graham said several people were transported to a local hospital with minor injuries. Read the full story on Montgomery Community Media.
Sunday, March 10, 2013
No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) spent several hours Sunday battling a 15-acre brush fire in Darnestown, according to MCFRS Assistant Chief Scott Graham. The fire, located at the 16700 block of Riffle Ford Road, has been contained and no injuries have been reported, Graham said. There were approximately 85 fire and rescue personnel at the scene as of 6 p.m. Sunday working to extinguish the blaze.
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
A Monday morning fire at 28 S. Frederick Ave., causes about $225,000 in damage, The Gazette reports.
A two-story commercial building in Gaithersburg housing several businesses was severely damaged in a fire Monday morning, The Gazette reported. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt told The Gazette the fire started in the rear of the 28 S. Frederick Ave. complex around 4 a.m. No one was injured and the fire caused approximately $225,000 in damage, according to the report. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Read the full story on The Gazette.
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
A 2-year-old boy was flown to a local trauma center with severe burns after drinking from a hot cup of coffee, WUSA 9 reported.
A 2-year-old boy from Laytonsville was flown to a local trauma with severe burns after drinking from a hot cup of coffee Tuesday evening, WUSA 9 reported. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Scott Graham tweeted the incident occurred in the 21000 block of Golf Estates Drive. The child was in serious condition, Graham said.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Firefighters successfully battled several brush fires Tuesday afternoon near I-270 and the Capital Beltway.